Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Curry Chicken Pot Pie for Two!

My New Favorite Comfort Food =)
I got this idea from Food Network, Alton Brown more specifically. I can't stand Alton when I have to hear him talk but, I have to admit, he does make really good food. Those of you who know me, know I rarely stick to an original recipe. The recipe below is not the original. I made quite a few changes in ingredients and in cooking method. A link to the original recipe has been provided at the end of this post.

This was AMAZING! I've made it twice in the last week! The first time, I used the amount of curry listed in this recipe. It was really good and is perfect if you're looking for a mild curry taste that more adds to the pot pie than is the star of it. However, I really like curry. So, the second time I made it, I doubled the curry powder and both my fiancee and I agreed more curry was better.


Note: I made individual pot pies for my fiancee and I. One large pot pie can be made (look at the link to the original recipe). I used little glass baking dishes that were small enough to hold one serving each. I also made these in a toaster oven because I didn't want to heat up the house (it was over 100 degrees today!!!).

Servings: 2
Prep time: 20 mins. Cook time: 30-35 mins.
Ingredients:

- 1-1/2 cups frozen veggies (can be whatever you want but commonly is carrots and peas, I used green beans as well)
- 1 TBSP Butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion.
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 TBSP flour, pre-mixed with a little water to avoid lumping
- 1 tsp. curry powder (or 2-3 if you REALLY like curry)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- pinch of salt (or to taste depending on salt preferences)
- 1 cup cooked chicken, cubed
- 1/2 box of pie crust mixed according to directions on box

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2. In a medium saucepan, saute onions in butter until golden brown. Add broth and frozen veggies. Bring to a boil to heat veggies through.

3. Lower heat and add milk. Add flour/water mixture to pan. Allow to simmer a few minutes to thicken. Add chicken and curry powder and mix thoroughly.

4. Prepare glass dishes by lightly greasing them (sides and bottom). Then press pie crust along the entire bottoms and sides of the dishes. Use your fingers to evenly spread the dough. Make sure it goes most of the way up to the top of the dish.

5. Add chicken/veggie mixture to glass dishes. Depending on the size of the dish, it may only fill two-thirds. Push down excess dough so that it covers a little of the mixture (see photo).

6. Roll out (or smash out by hand like I did ;) ) remaining pie crust dough for top of pies. Add to top and make sure to smash it to the dough already in the dish to seal. There may be some holes in the pie. Holes are necessary so the mixture inside can vent as it heats up.


7. Pop it in the oven and bake until golden brown on top and mixture inside is bubbling out (about 30-35 mins.). If you are using a toaster oven as I did, please note that glass dishes are not meant to be placed under direct heat for too long. I solve this problem by preheating the oven hotter than what the recipe calls for and lowering it immediately after putting dishes in. I then lower the temp to about 350 degrees. This way, the heat turns off for most of the cooking time.


Pot pies will be EXTREMELY hot. Don't say I didn't warn you. Once they cool, they will also be EXTREMELY good, so enjoy!

Need a dessert to go along? Check out my dessert recipes:

Check out my recipe for Banana Cinnamon Muffins! Yum!

http://cooklovecraft.blogspot.com/2011/11/banana-cinnamon-bread-muffins.html

Recipe for Better than Sex Cupcakes… the name speaks for itself!

http://cooklovecraft.blogspot.com/2011/10/better-than-sex-cupcakes.html

Swedish Pancakes with Berries. Great for breakfast or dessert!

http://cooklovecraft.blogspot.com/2011/10/swedish-pancakes-with-strawberries-and.html

Fruit dip that can be used to make a wonderful dessert or appetizer!

http://cooklovecraft.blogspot.com/2011/10/fruit-dip-recipe-made-dessert.html


Here is a link to the original recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/curry-chicken-pot-pie-recipe/index.html

2 comments: